I am on my way out of town for a few days and I wanted to talk to our RE about our failed IVF so I can put it behind me so I decided to do it over the phone while I waited at the airport.
Essentially it comes down to quality issues. The RE said the embryologist reported them as perfect, but in the end, my elevated fsh is probably a factor in none of them progressing after they are transferred. She did recommend that we try one more time with my eggs because the last cycle was really good. After that she feels we should think about of other options. Next time we will put back as many embyos as we feel comfortable with, so hopefully we can get 7 or more like we had this last time.
I asked about PGD (genetic testing) and she still does not recommend it because it is good for preventing pregnancy loss, but it is not a factor in getting pregnant- which is our issue. We also don't have a high number of eggs so it would be too risky.
I asked how she felt about us doing IUIs for a few months - which are paid for by my insurance - until we can get our finances together for another round. She said she would definitely do it since that would be better than nothing at all. I am still waiting to hear about our health ins for next year, but it is starting to look less likely that IVF will be covered.
So for now I am back on my dhea, wheatgrass, high protein low carb, no caff diet in hopes that a few more months of it will get us one good egg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Kate:
I'm mostly a lurker, and dealt with infertility since 99 until 05 when I was finally blessed with a pregnancy.
As we had run out of money and insurance for IVF, I tried a pill called "Ovulex", one of my coworkers recommended, which is suppossed to increase the quality of your eggs. After 90 days, we got pregnant! My Daughter is now 3 years old. I bought the pill thru the internet and is supposed to be all natural. They have a product also for males, but I can't remember the name, my husband was unwilling to try it as his SA came back fine.
Estela
aphKate-
I'm really sorry that this cycle didn't work for you. I so wish that things had turned out differently. I do hope that your time out of town helps to ease your pain. ((hugs))
I hope I don't offend you here, but have you re-considered going to CCRM? I know you decided back at your work-up to not proceed with them, but you are "in their system" so to speak, meaning you've already jumped through a couple of their initial time-consuming hurdles. You could reasonably be cycling there at the beginning of next year.
You know my story and my CCRM experience to date. Kate-I never thought we'd ever have any embies make it to blast based on my history of zero blasts after 50 eggs and 25 embies in previous cycles. Then when we got 6 blasts (which we were thrilled and astonished), I stressed so much that we wouldn't have any genetic normals. But then we did. Only 2, but they are still normals. I do think that genetic testing not only helps one to have a better chance at pregnancy, but also to help prevent some miscarriages. It isn't perfect, but it's the best available today.
My understanding is that we'll have about a 60% chance of success with these 2 normals, which is still more than we've ever had. This means we still have a 40% chance that it won't work. If it doesn't work, we will cycle there again. I was so skeptical of their lab being so much better than other labs, but somehow it really is. I can't count the number of gals I know that have gone there and had better cycles than ever. Sure, some don't get pg, but the cycles are still better and hopefully they can make changes next go around to achieve success.
I'm sorry for rambling here. I really don't want to offend you by sticking my nose in your decisions, however, I just wanted to offer up my experience to you. Whether through an IUI, your dietary changes, etc., I just want you to know how much I'm rooting for you to get pg. :-)
Oh, Kate, I hope you can find that one good egg, too!!
I hope getting out of town relaxed you and gave you a calming sense of hope!
hey kate, just checking in on you, wanted you to know I was thinking about you.
Post a Comment