Thursday, January 3, 2008

IVF - We made the decision and have a plan

Before talking about our IVF plan, I thought I better go back and trace how we got to this point. After a few months of trying on our own, we started seeing a specialist -- essentially because everyone in my family is so fertile it is hard to imagine 5 months had gone by with nothing except for a chemical pregnancy in May.

We went through lots of tests and got the wonderful diagnosis of 'Unexplained'. Our doctor recommended we try IUI (intrauterine insemination)with 5 days of clomid, 1 Follistim injection, 1 Ovidrel injection and progesterone for the 2WW. We did our first cycle in Aug with 2 follies and 11 mill count. Perfect cycle that ended in a BFN. We had to sit out the next month because of cysts. The following month was a bust also because the day of our IUI would have been the day of my friend's wedding (3 hours away). So, as you can imagine, we were ready for the next cycle. I had 3 great follies but our count was low. Sean blamed it on the fact that I made him stop drinking. IUI #2 ended with a BFN. We started cycle 3 and had a consult with the doctor about our next steps. We had 2 follies and an awesome count (yes, he went back to drinking) and it also ended in a BFN.

Our doctor gave us the choice to make to stick with IUI or move to IVF. Based on our health insurance limits, we opted to go for IVF which will hopefully significantly increase our chances to conceiving baby Reilly. So now I can go back to the plan.

No comments: