We went to our OB appointment this morning and it was a disaster. Well maybe not a disaster, but definitely not good.
Before I made my appt with them, I called my insurance company to verify that they were covered in my plan. The insurance company said yes. What they neglected to say was that in order to go to this OB, I need a referral from my primary care physician.
So, back to today's appointment. I signed in and everyone was very nice. Then the reception called me back to tell me that my appointment was not covered because I didn't have a referral. I was livid. I think the referral to an OB is stupid, but whatever, I am willing to do it. I have a huge issue with no one telling me that I needed it - even when I called to confirm the OB with the insurance company. This is actually the second time this has happened. The first time was the whole fiasco with the referral to Shady Grove.
I went online to schedule my pcp appointment and there was nothing until Friday. I decided to call and they told me the same thing on the phone. I told them I was willing to go to whoever was available asap. They were able to get me in tomorrow morning at 8:50. I really doubt that my referral will be ready by Thursday morning (which is when I am scheduled to go back to the OB) but I am trying to stay positive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
won't the pcp fax a referral for you to the ob? why do you have to see them? oh, right, so they can get their $150 from your ins. for the 2 mins it takes to sign a form. NICE!!!
I'm sorry you had a hard day. The same thing happened to me a while ago. I hate that I need referrals!
So annoying! I hate insurance companies. But I'll stop there because I won't be able to stop ranting about them!!!
I'm so sorry, how frustrating! I had a similar experience where I had to see a pulmonologist at my ob's request by the pulm's office debated the OB's referral, told me it needed to be my primary, and back and forth. It was really bad, I hope you get it worked out!
I'm surprised you need a referral to an ob though, I thought most plans were open to ob's and pcp's. GL! hope it straightens out very soon
Post a Comment