Friday, April 24, 2009

9 weeks

Today I had another OB appointment with Kaiser. It is surprising how smoothly it goes when you do what they want you to do. I had an u/s, which I hadn't expected, and 8 tubes of blood taken. The babies are doing great and I heard their heartbeats. One of them is a little smaller than it should be, but the doctor didn't seem too concerned. I go back in 3 weeks for another u/s because they consider me high risk due to the loss of Baby C. I also receive the referral for the high risk specialist (which is really why I went today) and will have that appointment in a couple weeks.

We still don't know which OB we will use for the delivery, but I have the next month to decide.

9 Week Development

Your new residents are nearly an inch long — about the size of a grapes— and weigh just a fraction of an ounce. They are starting to look more and more human. Their essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your babies' hearts finish dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do their tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your babies' organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Their eyes are fully formed, but their eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. They have tiny earlobes, and their mouths, noses, and nostrils are more distinct. The placentas are developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your babies' basic physiologies are in place, they are poised for rapid weight gain.

3 comments:

Christi said...

glad you got your referral! you need to edit your description of week 9 and make it plural, you have two new residents! :)

Joy@WDDCH said...

And what cute little "grapes" you're growing!

MJ said...

Yeah, Kaiser is great when you do what they want right? So glad you got to hear the heartbeats.

Glad you got your referral.