Friday, May 15, 2009

Week 12 - Last Week of the First Trimester!!

This has been a week of doctor visits. We went to the specialist and had our NT Scan (Nuchal translucency screening) completed. The scan results came back normal so now we are just waiting for the blood results to determine if they want us to do any additional testing. We got some detailed, 3D pictures of the babies (below). I think they look completely crazy, but the doctors and nurses have said they look perfectly normal for their age.

I have gained 3 pounds and I am starting to move from my clothes to maternity clothes -- although most people would never be able to tell I am pregnant.

How your babies' growing

The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your babiess fingers will soon begin to open and close, their toes will curl, their eye muscles will clench, and their mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. Their intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cords, will start to move into their abdominal cavity about now, and their kidneys will begin excreting urine into their bladders. Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your babies' brains, synapses are forming furiously. Their faces look unquestionably human: Their eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and their ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your babies-to-be are just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weigh half an ounce.

4 comments:

juliane2004 said...

... I don't understand... why does it say "Week 12" in your post title, but your baby ticker is showing "14w0d"?

Are you 14 weeks or 12 weeks?

Anonymous said...

So cool, Sis. The Indiana crowd is very excited.

Joy@WDDCH said...

Babies look perfect for their age!

Christi said...

great photos!

hey, I did close my blog but I'm not sure for some reason if you can access now, if you have trouble, page me on the bump!